Re: 'Web addresses in HTML 5' for review [IRIEverywhere-27 ISSUE-27]

On 19 Mar 2009, at 20:30, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:

> An editorial concern:  step 3 in section 3 says [1]:
>
>        * If encoding is UTF-16, then change it to UTF-8.
>
> I think this reads two ways:
>
>        1. Go and convert the Web address
>           string to UTF-8, then proceed
>        2. Don't touch the string, but for
>           purposes of the remaining steps,
>           assume that "encoding" is
>           set to UTF-8.
>
> Whichever it is, I recommend that it be stated more clearly.  Thank
> you.

I raised this previously (while that prose was in HTML 5): it should
be two.

Something like the following would be better, "If encoding is UTF-16,
then change encoding to UTF-8, leaving w intact."

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>