Re: http+srv worth its own URI scheme? (ISSUE-49 schemeProtocols-49)

On Feb 24, 2009, at 11:47 AM, Dan Connolly wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 11:39 -0700, Cullen Jennings wrote:
>> On Feb 24, 2009, at 9:06 AM, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> [...]
>>> Does this slow down HTTP operations at all?
>>> (What is the effect on the economy of slowing down an HTTP lookup by
>>> each nanosecond?)
>> Uh, not much, otherwise people would get rid of DNS for redirections
>> that did not need and just use IP addresses for stuff that needs to
>> be
>> fast or encode the http/html in a way that was smaller and faster to
>> parse.
>
> People *do* take steps to improve DNS performance... enough people
> that   http://www.opendns.com/ seems to be a viable business:

Clearly my original remark was too flippant. I agree that building
high performance DNS servers is a topic of considerable energy but
that is a bit orthogonal from the speed differences of CNAME vs A
which is roughly what we are talking about here.