Re: Uniform access to metadata: XRD use case.

On 2009-03-06 00:40, "ext Eran Hammer-Lahav" <eran@hueniverse.com> wrote:

> I didnšt think you do. Your request *was* very clear... :-)
>
> Most web hosting services require a dedicated server to gain access to the
> httpd configuration which is required to support custom methods. The
> difference in cost between shared hosting and dedicated hosting is
> significant. In addition, considering the OpenID use case (or any
> bootstrapping of identity onto an existing web presence), we are talking about
> existing blogging platforms from MySpace, to Facebook, to TypePad, etc. Most
> of these allow adding HTML elements but not playing with any server
> configuration required for custom methods (or Link headers).

And therefore, to fully support linking as a uniform solution, since link
headers are necessary for resources which do not allow reasonable embedding
of links within representations (for various reasons), server environments
*will* have to be changed to properly implement semantic web functionality,
therefore the arguments that because URIQA requires changes to the server
environment it is harder to deploy than link, because folks can embed links
in their documents, etc. is invalid.

If/when service providers, content producers, and/or consumers see the clear
benefits to be obtained from semantic web technologies, web service and tool
providers *will* implement what is necessary to effectively provide those
benefits.

Just because some proposed solution cannot be done *today* on someone's
favorite blogging site, does *not* mean it is not the best solution in the
long term. Such arguments are terribly short sighted.

Patrick