Re: URI for abstract concepts (domain, host, origin, site, etc.)

Eran Hammer-Lahav wrote:
> [...]

Oops; OK. I didn't notice the subtlety.

> I can't figure out what a descriptor about dns:example.com actually mean because I don't know what a description of a DNS record means (other than comments).
>
>> I can't find any RFCs on hosts, origins, etc.
>>
>> For abstract things in general, I like just
>> using dynamic lookup via http:
>>    http://anysite.you.can.publish.on/mydescription#host-site-whatever
>
> How would a client know that this URI isn't for an actual HTTP resource without creating "well-known-location" URIs (option #1 in my original email)?

It _is_ for an actual HTTP resource; i.e. something
described/discussed in a document you can get by HTTP. Since
documents can describe/discuss anything, they can describe/discuss
things like origins and such. RDF is particularly suited
for this purpose, but I can imagine other media types
might work too... text/html with RDFa is pretty hip
these days.