Re: Uniform access to metadata: XRD use case.

Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com wrote:

> On 2009-02-25 11:40, "ext Xiaoshu Wang" <wangxiao@musc.edu> wrote:
>

>> Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com wrote:

>>> If one wants a representation of the resource, use GET.
>>> If one wants a description of the resource, us MGET.
>>>

>> This doesn't answer the question at all.  For me, a representation must
>> be describing something.
>>

> You're definition of representation seems overly narrow.
>
> If a given URI denotes a tree, and a 200 response to an HTTP GET request for
> that URI returns an image of the tree (i.e. a representation of the tree),
> does that image "describe" the tree? One may be able to observe
> characteristics of the tree by viewing the image, but whether or not the
> image is a "description" of the tree is, I think, a matter of debate, and in
> any case, outside the scope of the protocols in question.

My answer is yes.  I don't know what is your point here.

>> Hence, I cannot say if something is a
>> Representation but not Description.
>>

> It's the specification of the protocol that says what is returned (or should
> be).
>
> A successful response to a GET request can be presumed to be a
> representation.
>
> A successful response to an MGET request can be presumed to be a
> description.

Does this help either a producer or a consumer to decide their action?
>>> There is some potential conceptual overlap between representations and
>>> descriptions for certain kinds of resources, but the distinction should be
>>> reasonably intuitive.
>>>

>>  I don't think any protocol based on intuition is practical.
>>

> Neither HTTP or URIQA are based on intuition. Some concepts are, however,
> for most folks, fairly intuitive. But the specs will say how software should
> behave and expect when using those protocols.

This is really an empty answer.  You still have yet given a definition
that helps software to behave accordingly. When should they GET and
MGET? Please don't circular define it, such as when you needs
Representation, GET, description, MGET.  I want to know the semantic
difference.
>>  The
>> concept of IR seems intuitive, but it doesn't work (at least not for me).

>>> For URIQA, all that is needed is the URI. After all, you have to be able to
>>> name something to communicate effectively about it.
>>>
>>> URIQA does not presume that any representation exists. It neither posits nor
>>> requires an "Information Resource".
>>>
>>> It is perfectly complimentary to the web.
>>>
>>> GET/PUT/etc. deal with representations.
>>> MGET/MPUT/etc. deal with descriptions.
>>>
>>> If you have a URI, you can use it to either get representations or
>>> descriptions, and if you don't know anything about what resource the URI
>>> denotes, you might first want to get the description.

>>> URIQA makes none of those assumptions.
>>>

>> Really? Try to define the distinction between your terms "description"
>> and "representation", see what you must come out.
>>

> A representation is what you (should) get from a 200 response to an HTTP GET
> request. It can be expected to reflect, in some manner, the state of the
> resource denoted by the request URI. Whether the representation returned is
> useful or meaningful to the recipient (either human or machine), or whether
> it "describes" the resource in any discernable way, is outside the scope of
> the HTTP spec and lies entirely in the domain of information publication and
> consumption -- i.e the social relationship between the publisher of the
> representation and consumers of the representation.
>
> A description is what you (should) get from a 200 response to a URIQA MGET
> request. It can be expected to correspond to a graph of RDF statements,
> serialized in some manner (RDF/XML by default) where the particular
> statements of interest are those in which the request URI occurs as the
> subject (though there can be other statements in the graph in which the
> subject does not correspond to the request URI). It is intended to be
> interpreted by the recipient (usually a machine) in terms of the RDF model
> theory.
>
> Pretty distinct to me.

Hence, your definition of Description is RDF.  It is fine.  Then, Conneg
does the same thing, doesn't it?  Wouldn't that make MGET a redundant
effort?
> HTTP GET may return a serialization of an RDF graph.
> URIQA MGET always returns a serialization of an RDF graph.
>
> Note that a description, returned by URIQA MGET, is a specific subtype of
> representation, returned by HTTP GET, and it is certainly possible for
> representations of that description to be accessible via HTTP GET. So yes, a
> representation can certainly describe a resource. But not all
> representations accessible via HTTP GET will be as explicitly descriptive as
> an RDF graph. (sorry if that is confusing, reading it several times may be
> necessary ;-)

>>> Actually, it can't. As noted on http://sw.nokia.com/uriqa/URIQA.html:
>>>

>> The link returns a 404, so I don't know if it suppose to return
>> something meaningful or it is a metaphor.
>>

> Perhaps you are including the colon at the end, which is not part of the URI
> (sorry). I.e. try
>
> http://sw.nokia.com/uriqa/URIQA.html
>

>>> --
>>> Why not use a MIME type and content negotiation to request a description?
>>>
>>> Content negotiation is designed to allow agents to select from among a set
>>> of alternate encodings. The distinction between a resource description and
>>> (other kind of) resource representations is not based on any distinction in
>>> encoding.
>>>
>> Nope.  That is perhaps the intention that conneg is designed.  But I
>> don't think that is the way it should be understood.  Content-type might
>> be signal a special encoding, but language, for instance, is also part
>> of Conneg.
>>

> That is true, and the wording is perhaps imperfect, but the point made is
> valid.
>
> Content negotiation is intended to provide access to alternative
> representations where the presumption is that those representations convey,
> as much as is possible given the limitations of their form of expression,
> the same essential body of information.
>
> You may wish to use content negotiation for something else, but it's
> original intended use, and actual use, is pretty well established.
> Exploiting it to do something else, is certainly possible, but not
> necessarily optimal as a generalized solution.
>

>>> In fact, a given description (which is itself a resource) may have
>>> several available encodings (RDF/XML, XTM, N3, etc.). Thus, if you use
>>> content negotiation to indicate that you want a description, you can't use
>>> it to indicate the preferred encoding of the description (if/when other
>>> encodings than RDF/XML are available).
>>> --
>>>

>> What is the implication of your statement. That RDF (or its sort) is
>> description but others are not?
>>

> No. I didn't mean that at all.

Hmm., now I don't know your definition again.  See above how you defined it.

>> An HTML or XML doc definitely describes
>> somethings.
>>

> As noted above, representations may correspond to descriptions, but may not
> be as explicitly or formally descriptive as a serialization of an RDF graph.
>

>> If you URIDL  them to an RDF, it doesn't change the nature
>> of its content.
>>

> One can represent a specific RDF graph in a number of different ways, and
> content negotiation can be effectively used as intended to request
> particular variant representations of that graph.
>
> If content negotiation is (mis)used to request an explicit description of a
> resource, then it is not available to request variant representations of
> that description (at least not without potentially doubling (or more) the
> number of MIME types).

Why not?

>>> Content negotiation can be used as intended in conjunction with URIQA to
>>> request particular variant encodings of a description.
>>>

>> Again, the definition of "description"?
>>

> See above.

>>> I consider on of the strengths of the semantic web layer is that it is
>>> agnostic about the syntactic structure of URIs. I also think that
>>> syntactically binding the URI of a resource and the URI(s) of its
>>> representation(s) or description(s) is necessary, and would be overly
>>> cumbersome in practice.
>>>

>> Of course.  But anyone who words with the Web should know that the Web
>> is consisted of these three kinds of things.
>>

> Anyone who is familiar with the standards which serve as the foundation for
> the web, and semantic web, knows what things are defined as relevant to
> software applications and the scope of those definitions.
>
> (granted, no spec or standard is perfect, but things are defined a lot more
> clearly and precisely than the definitions you seem to be assuming for these
> particular terms)
>

>> Hence, giving these three
>> concept some syntactic sugar doesn't violate the URI's opacity
>> principle.
>>

> I'm sorry, but that statement is self-contradicting. If the URI is opaque
> for a given application, then syntax is irrelevant, hence there cannot be
> any syntactic sugar which is meaningful to that application.

No.  It is not but let's don't sidetrack this to other issues.  What I
really want is a definition of "Description".  The only one that you
give, but later seems rescinded, can and should be CN.

Xiaoshu