Re: HTML and XML

On 16 Feb 2009, at 21:14, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Bijan Parsia wrote:
>> I'm not clear why one category of errors (well formedness ones) are
>> so much worse than other levels (e.g., validity ones). They are all
>> errors.
>
> ...on different levels...

Yeees. But the levels are different by convention, not intrisincally.

>> One nice thing about XML is separating these classes of errors so
>> that even if the document is not valid wrt the relevant schema, you
>> can still work with it (transform it, etc.)...
>
> Indeed!
>
>> ...What's so much worse about well formedness errors?
>
> By definition, that's an error that prevents the XML processor from
> doing it's job, turning a byte sequence into a sequence of elements,
> attributes, text data, etc.

Julian, you seem to conflate issues about what *is* the design with a
discussion about the design space.

If an error only prevents an XML processor from doing its job by
*definition*, then there is room to evaluate whether the definition
hit the right spot. Which is what I've (and I presume XML5 advocates)
are advocating.

Cheers,
Bijan.