Re: HTML and XML

On Feb 10, 2009, at 3:26 PM, Henry S. Thompson wrote:

> But I think the world has already voted with its feet on the XML5
> question, in that there is a notable _lack_ of folk advocating it.
>
> And there's good reason for that:  XML actually _is_ usable by
> authors and authoring well-formed XML is _not_ hard.

+1

in the interests of "full disclosure":
I teach XML and related s/w technologies here at RIT
and my experience with students from many majors and backgrounds
matches this

XML is not hard for people to learn to use
XML is encountered by non-theorists as very usable
to get real work done
and it is not hard to learn to create valid *and* well-formed XML
consistently

> So whatever else may be still be discussed, I do not think there's
> much if any evidence of either demand or need for an "XML5".

+1

jeffs

--
"Not everything that counts can be counted,
   and not everything that can be counted counts.."

Prof. Jeff Sonstein

http://www.it.rit.edu/~jxs/
http://ariadne.iz.net/~jeffs/
http://chw.rit.edu/blog/