Re: WebApps architecture and such [Fwd: Re: ECMA TC-39 get-together with W3C TPAC folks?]

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 14:11 -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:
[...]
> One of them (ACTION-310) was related to the ECMA
> TC-39/TPAC get-together(s).
> In the course of trying to find records, I found all
> sorts of stuff in the public-script-coord archives...

I took another look at public-script-coord this week,
and I found a great discussion of the economics
of specifying legacy behavior.

e.g.

Brendan Eich to Anne van Kesteren 16 Nov 2009
Re: Conflicts between W3C specs and ES5?
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-script-coord/2009OctDec/0136.html

This is in the context of discussion of WebIDL and
figuring out boundaries between ECMA JavaScript specs and W3C DOM specs.
It turns out that low level details conflict:

[[
1) Is the global object the same as the object at the end of the
scope chain? (HTML5: yes. ES5: no). [later corrected to no/yes resp.]
  2) What is document.all? (HTML5: a falsy host object. ES5: All
objects (i.e., all non-primitive values) including all host objects
are truthy.)
]]
 -- http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-script-coord/2009OctDec/0126.html

The thread touches on a number of other detailed conflicts between
specs and implementations.

I hope TAG members find time to take a look before next week's
discussion of WebApps architecture.
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2009/12/08-agenda#Applicatio

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E