RE: [XRI] XRI-as-Relative-URI proposal

Jonathan (and Stuart and Dan),

Thanks much for the feedback. I've been tied up in an offsite all day (and
all day tomorrow), but let me reassure you that yes, many XRI TC members
care deeply about the use of XRI with the Semantic Web - in fact I know John
Bradley will argue that it's one of the primary use cases for XRIs once they
are successfully integrated into Web architecture.

I apologize that the http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/XriAsRelativeUri page
isn't clear about this (I'll take an action item to update it) but on the
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri/AbstractIdentifierArchitecture page we have
an example that the pure XRI =drummond and the http-XRI
http://xri.net/=drummond do in fact both identify the abstract resource (the
"thing", though I prefer Stuart William's term "Platonic ideal"). Also,
although under XRI Resolution 2.0 resolution of http://xri.net/=drummond by
itself currently returns a 302 redirect to some default representation, I
believe the XRI TC is fine with changing this to a 303. To request a
descriptor of the abstract resource - an XRDS document - you need to add a
query string, e.g., http://xri.net/=drummond?_xrd_r=application/xrds+xml.

So we have:

1) =drummond and http://xri.net/=drummond as synonymous identifiers of the
Platonic ideal.

2) http://xri.net/=drummond?_xrd_r=application/xrds+xml as the identifier of
an XRDS resource descriptor of =drummond.

3) Other URIs (contained in the XRDS document) as the concrete URIs to which
you are redirected via a 303 to representations of the Platonic ideal of
=drummond (sounds like something I should live up to ;-)

Is that what you have in mind?

BTW, I personally like the ARK convention of being able to append just "?"
to the scheme-XRI to identify the default descriptor for the XRI. That could
be the short form, with the option to use more complete descriptor query
parameters.

=Drummond

  _____