Re: Passwords in the clear update

ext David Orchard wrote:
> The question is about how "harsh" the stick should be.  Saying "MUST
> NOT" when people very occasionally have legitimate reasons devalues the
> finding and the advice.

What are these legitimate reasons? Or perhaps put another way, what do
we consider a "password" to be, if not a *secret* best shared only
between exactly two parties and used to authenticate one party to the
other?

>  I think we have to be beat the point about the
> dangers and encourage people to not use them.
>
> I think the finding currently reflects the very best that we are going
> to get in terms of such a stance, and that is the least objectionable to
> the most number of people.

Perhaps. But if we wave our hands in the air, will anyone hear us?

As you say in your introduction:

"Security on the World Wide Web is an important issue which needs to be
addressed, or mistrust of the Web will limit its growth potential."

Password-based authentication is, for better or worse, an important part
of security on the World Wide Web.

Cheers,

- johnk