Re: Uniform access to descriptions

On Mar 20, 2008, at 1:17 PM, John Cowan wrote:
> Roy T. Fielding scripsit:
>> All of the hosting services that I have used over the past eight
>> years
>
> I know Aunt Tillies, Aunt Tillies are friends of mine, and Roy, you're
> no Aunt Tillie.

Aunt Tillie is not relevant to "anyone who uses a hosting provider"
and "It's impossible." assertions to which I was replying.  Even so,
if Aunt Tillie happens to be in a field in which this discussion
is even remotely relevant, then she is more than capable of reading
instructions on how to create links between documents (probably far
more capable than the Uncle Tillies who think that is too difficult).
People who don't care about metadata at all are a different scope.

Software doesn't need to be difficult for users.  The way in which
the bits are arranged to cross the wire has very little to do with
the way that the user configures the bits to be sent across the wire.
You can figure it out.  And if you'd just stop undercutting every
effort to use the web as it was intended, then maybe the tool
vendors would catch up to the simple protocols we define.

....Roy