Re: XRI vote aftermath

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 9:47 AM, Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress
<rden@loc.gov> wrote:

> The most perplexing aspect (to me) of this whole XRI business is the
> discussion of URI schemes.  I was sure we had established that XRI is not a
> proposed URI scheme, it is something else, a higher-level identifier, or
> something (actually I don't think it has ever been definitively
> characterized in terms of its relationship to a URI scheme.)
>
> Yet the discussion still seems to center on  "[T]he unbounded registration
> of new schemes ...".
>
> What am I missing?

Prior to the Web, we had an abundance of information spaces, one for
pretty much every area of work, study, etc.. you could identify.
Another name for these spaces was "silos".  What the Web did, was
provide an "information space of information spaces", allowing these
silos to plug in to a unified space whereby they could exchange
information with other silos... which of course means that they were
no longer silos.

URI scheme proliferation is not the problem here IMO, just a symptom
of the real problem: information space proliferation.  If you can
avoid creating a new information space, you should, no matter what
identifier syntax you're using.

Mark.