Re: Question about the On Linking Alternative Representations TAG Finding

From: John Kemp (Nokia-S&S/Williamstown) <john.kemp@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:44:38 -0400
To: "ext Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)" <dbooth@hp.com>
CC: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>, "seb@serialseb.com" <seb@serialseb.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, "kidehen@openlinksw.com" <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, "tthibodeau@openlinksw.com" <tthibodeau@openlinksw.com>

ext Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) wrote:
>> From: Richard Cyganiak [ . . . ] Let's say I have
>>
>> /resource      (generic information resource with HTML and JSON
>> variants) /resource.html (a HTML specific URI) /resource.json (a
>> JSON specific URI)
>>
>> Now let's say I request /resource.json with an Accept header of
>> "Accept: text/html". What should happen?
>>
>> One opinion is that the JSON should be served anyway, because the
>> URI identifies a specific variant.
>
> I think serving the JSON is the best option.  Serving HTML from
> /resource.json would defeat the purpose of having a JSON-specific
> URI.   It is quite likely that the user pasted the JSON URI into a
> browser to test it, and *wants* to see the JSON that is returned.
> Everyone knows how to paste a URI into a browser; few know how to
> configure their browsers to specify their desired MIME types.

One point to note here is that if you *do* return JSON to a browser, and
you give it the MIME media type 'application/json', that even if the
user *wants* to see the JSON in her browser, she may be disappointed.
Last time I looked, I was prompted to download things of that type,
rather than 'seeing' them in my browser.

Servers might wish to consider that when performing content negotiation
with a user-agent.

Cheers,

- johnk