Re: Question about the On Linking Alternative Representations TAG Finding

On Jul 31, 2008, at 1:23 PM, Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) wrote:

> I think serving the JSON is the best option.  Serving HTML from /
> resource.json would defeat the purpose of having a JSON-specific
> URI.   It is quite likely that the user pasted the JSON URI into a
> browser to test it, and *wants* to see the JSON that is returned.
> Everyone knows how to paste a URI into a browser; few know how to
> configure their browsers to specify their desired MIME types.

I don't see how the best option is to ignore the accept header. If
the accept header says to accept only html then you shouldn't respond
with a different mime type as if that was an appropriate response.
The 406 or 30x responses make more sense.

It's like saying, in a negotiation, that it's a fine thing to ignore
other negotiator and do what you want. Its not much of a negotiation
in that case.

-Alan