RE: Should the HTTP protocol become "inapropriate"

> From: Paul Prescod
> [ . . . ]
> Is it the position of Tim, Mark and David Orchard that it would be
> wrong? Dangerous? to define a mechanism for embedding hints for
> alternate resolution protocols inside of HTTP URIs?

No, it is not wrong.  It is fine to embed hints of any kind in HTTP URIs.  (I realize you didn't ask me, though.)

> My opinion is that it is the logical result of the observation that
> HTTP URIs (backed by HTTP proxies) are better than other URIs on the
> web in almost every circumstance.

Okay, but I would have said it the other way around: it is one of the reasons *why* HTTP URIs are better than other URIs in almost every circumstance.

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Statements made herein represent the views of the author and do not necessarily represent the official views of HP unless explicitly so stated.