Re: Should the HTTP protocol become "inapropriate"

Tim,

I thank you for contributing to the discussion.

There is a saying 实事求是 (seek truth from facts).

So please consider the facts as I and perhaps others see them.

XRI provides two things:
1.  A URN like syntax that is useful for describing and addressing
data in XDI-RDF.
2.  A resolution service that is XML based (XRDS) and extensible far
beyond what DNS or IDN is designed to provide.

We see XDI-RDF and SPARQL as complimentary and hopefully interoperable
technologies,  much like we have with http: and xri:.

XRI  exists and is deployed as an OASIS committee standard.    XDI
exists and is in testing (though the standard is still in committee
draft)

XRIs need to be identifiable by a client application without querying
meta data, PROPFIND or some other interaction.

XRI needs a way to define additional normalization rules beyond what
are defined for http: in IRI.

I have referred to this as a sub-scheme for http:

If a standard sub-scheme can be developed, then XRI and others will
have no need to register new URI schemes.

I believe that issue-50 was created to address this.

The XRI-TC believes however that issue-50 URNsAndRegistries-50 is not
complete or sufficient for resolution and syntax.

You state below "Of course, XRI people can become HTTP people"

You are correct, if the issues are addressed.

If the issues are not,  I humbly submit that there is a risk of HTTP
people becoming XRI people.

That is not our goal or intention.

We are working with great diligence towards an understanding that
avoids the latter outcome.

If our help with issue-50 is desired we will give it willingly.

Thank you for considering my interpretation of the facts.
I hope that it may lead us to some truth that can accommodate us both.

Regards
John Bradley
OASIS IDTRUST-SC
http://xri.net/=jbradley