[XRI] The New Thread

Thanks Ray,

I think you are correct.  I believe some "Standard" sub-scheme
mechanism needs to be defined.

In my post form yesterday, I asked the question of which standards
organization should undertake the lead on that work.

I admit the sub-scheme is a term people may not like but I think it
makes clear for discussion what the general functionality would be.

One of the issues will be the registration issue you point out.

We could re use the URI schemes.

This would give the people who misguidedly  registered URI schemes a
easy way to convert to using the http: scheme with substrings.

An example.

webdav://docs.example.com/repos  (Konqueror and others)  ===>   http://docs.example.com/dav:/repos

NOTE (From Marty's comments you can see the resistance to using a
methodology like PROPFIND to discover if a http: scheme URL is a
webdav mount point , XRI or regular html URI.)

We also had quite novel and interesting suggestion of using DNS names
for the sub schemes.  This would allow for the discovery of the sub
schemes properties by retrieving a XRDS document form the host at the
published domain name.  This would be similar to XRI 2.0 Sec 6
resolution otherwise known as XRDS Simple.

If we created new TLDs to encode the sub-schemes that is also a
possibility and has some other interesting properties .

I think we have several good ideas.   They do need to be turned into a
standard.

Regards
John Bradley
OASIS IDTRUST-SC