Re: Boeing XRI Use Cases

David,

In the existing spec there are a number of forms. this may have
required additional clarification as it split across the syntax and
resolution specs.

Let me try and summaries:
1. Native Form "step 0" of the transform ladder  It is defined as an
XRI reference represented in the context of a computer application or
in other media (print, audio, etc.)

2. XRI-Normal Form  "step 1"  The steps required to transform an XRI
reference in native form to XRI-normal form are:

If the representation of the XRI reference in native form is not yet
digitized, or if it is digitized but does not use an encoding based on
the Unicode Character Set (UCS), it MUST be converted to a sequence of
characters from the UCS. The UTF-8 encoding is
RECOMMENDED.Programatically this is typically a check to discover the
character encoding of the identifier, followed by a library called to
convert from any non-UCS-based encoding to a UCS-based encoding.

If any information present in Native Form would be lost in the
conversion to a sequence of UCS character, this information MAY be
encoded as identifier metadata in the form of cross-references from
the XRI $ Dictionary. For example, a $l (language) cross-reference may
be inserted to indicate the glyph of a Kanji character. Note that this
metadata becomes part of the formal XRI and thus is significant for
comparison in all XRI forms. This step will also typically be a
library call, although one needed only in applications that deal with
XRIs subject to this type of ambiguity.

This sequence of UCS characters MUST be normalized according to NFKC
as defined in the Unicode specifications (UTR15). This is typically a
library call to an NFKC normalization library.
	• The authority segment of the XRI MUST be normalized to lowercase,
unless it overriden by $ces or other $ metadata specifying case.
	• The target values of $ip, $dns, and $uri authority segments MUST be
normalized as specified in the XRI $ Dictionary.
	• All unnecessary percent-encoding MUST be removed, and all remaining
percent encoding MUST use uppercase A through F for hex digits.
	• All /./ and /../ segments MUST be removed.
	• All XRIs used as encapsulated references MUST be in XRI-normal
form, i.e., an xri:// prefix MUST be removed.

3. XRI-UTF8 Form.  This is a subset of XRI-normal form for use in
directory and database applications which require UTF-8 encoding. The
only additional requirement is that the UCS encoding be UTF-8.

4. IRI-Normal Form "step 2" IRI-normal form is required for full
compatability with the IRI specification (RFC 3987). The steps for
transformation of an XRI reference into IRI-normal form are currently
defined in section 2.3.1 of XRI Syntax 2.0.

Note that this transformation is not idempotent (i.e., it may yield a
different result if applied more than once), so it is very important
that implementers not apply this transformation more than once to
avoid changing the semantics of the identifier.
	• Percent-encode all percent “%” characters as “%25” across the
entire XRI reference.
	• Percent-encode all number sign “#” characters that appear within a
cross-reference as “%23”.
	• Percent-encode all question mark “?” characters that appear within
a cross-reference as “%3F”.
	• Percent-encode all slash “/” characters that appear within a cross-
reference as “%2F”.

5. IRI-UTF-8 Form This is a subset of IRI-normal form for use in
directory and database applications which require and IRI and UTF-8
encoding. The only additional requirement is that the UCS encoding be
UTF-8.

6. URI-Normal Form "step 3" URI-normal form is required for full
compatability with the URI specification (RFC 3986). The rules for
transformation of a valid IRI into a valid URI are defined by section
3.1 of RFC 3987. The steps required to transform an XRI reference to
URI-normal form are:
	• If the XRI reference is not in IRI-UTF-8 form, first transform it
into IRI-UTF-8 form.
	• Percent-encode the UTF-8 octets.

7. HXRI Form "step 4"  HXRI (HTTP XRI) form is URI-normal form with
the "xri://" prefix replaced by an XRI proxy resolver prefix so the
XRI is expressed as a valid HTTP(S) URI.
	• If the XRI reference is not in URI-normal form, first transform it
into URI-normal form.
	• Remove the "xri://" prefix.
	• Add a valid HXRI proxy resolver prefix.

It is clear that HXRI was intended to be used with any proxy resolver
there is no real special encoding of the URL at the moment.
There is a best practice to name proxy resolvers starting with https://xri
.

This would need to be addressed.

To your question of is a string prefixed with xri: a URI?

The answer from above is that it like any IRI may be in IRI form or
URI form.

In places like XML the URI-Normal form should be used for compatibility.
I will add that the http: scheme IRI's have exactly the same issue and
should not be used in namespace declarations.

I personally think all XML namespace declarations should be http:
URLs.  Using XRIs for namespace declarations is unnecessary at best.
That may not win me a lot of friends but I think its true.

The IRI-Normal form exists and is currently the way international
identifiers are represented in openID.
I am working on getting support for http: scheme IRIs.

So David,  I will ask the question if it were clear that only the URI-
Normal form could be used for namespace declarations,  and we
recommend that http: URLs should always be preferred in declarations
over XRI.   Would this change your position on the xri: scheme.

Mind you I am not trying to change your opinion.  I am just trying to
get to the root of the issue.

Regards
John Bradley
OASIS IDTRUST-SC