Re: Boeing XRI Use Cases

Hi Mark,

If we were to proceed with David's recommendation to remove the xri:
scheme from the spec and use the HXRI form for web compatibility
through a proxy, then we would need some way for XRI aware
applications to recognize what the actual protocol of a http scheme
URL is.   We are open to finding the optimal way to achieve this.

We had been operating under the impression that the scheme of a URI
was designed to do that.
This we are told is outdated information.

We are now told that:
1.  No new schemes should be registered.
2. That all protocols and transports should use http: URLs for
addressing to prevent fragmentation of the information space.

Clearly that requires having some way to distinguish between the
different types of http: URLs that will be required to achieve this
across multiple protocols.

I admit that this unfortunately requires the URL authority segment to
not be opaque to applications.
I certainly agree that the authority part of the http URL would need
to be unambiguous to correctly identify  HXRI encoded XRI's for
applications that want to do native resolution or other processing
like XDI.

Having the HXRI begin with https://xri.  was intended as a convenience
for people who wanted to run there own proxy servers.

In contemplating this change there are a number of things that will
need to be changed with HXRI resolution and community XRI
registries.   It will certainly be more than a search and replace
operation for the XRI-TC if the change is to be made properly to
everyones satisfaction.

If we take this step and encode all information in the path component
of a HTTP URL are we still obligated to justify the existence of XRI
to the W3C TAG?

It is not that we don't have compelling use cases, and unique
applications.   It is simply that I doubt that any use case could be
compelling or unique enough to reach the bar that has been referred to
by the TAG.  Is this bar only applicable only to new URI schemes, or
anything that proposes to use http URLS for processing things other
than web pages?

if we must justify XRI being documented as a standard.  We are willing
to engage in a mutually agreeable education process.

I ask, are all protocols and transports that are requested to use the
http scheme going to be subjected to the same level of scrutiny?

If we must meet some objective standard of utility that the W3C has
set,  then please provide us with the appropriate documentation
regarding that standard.   We will endeavor to comply.

If there is a document stating how others like webdav were able to
navigate this process, perhaps that could be of some help to the XRI-TC.

Just for my clarification, is your position that, if XRI can be shown
to meet certain standards of utility it should register the xri:
scheme? This will allow the authority segment of the http scheme to
remain opaque.

I can personally see some merit in at least the latter half of the
above statement.

So how do other TAG members feel?  Independent of the merits of XRI,
should people use URI schemes to indicate a protocol other than http
is being used for applications,  or should all applications use or at
least expose http: scheme urls for addressing, even over alternate
protocols.

I believe the XRI-TC and others are in need of that answer before we
can move forward with specifications that are known to be satisfactory.

Regards
John Bradley
OASIS IDTRUST-SC
=jbradley