Re: Boeing XRI Use Cases

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 23:06:59 -0400
To: "Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)" <dbooth@hp.com>
Cc: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>

On 7/13/08, Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) <dbooth@hp.com> wrote:
>  Also, I note in section 11.2, that an HXRI is intended to be recognizable by starting with "http://xri." (or "https://xri.").  Wouldn't this potentially cause a regular (non-HXRI) URI that happens to start with that sequence to be erroneously interpreted as an HXRI?

It would AFAICT, counter to advice from the AWWW[1].  This is why none
of the suggested fixes, alone or together, address my concerns.

If you're trying to extend the Web in a way that requires providing
license to agents to extract information from URIs - which appears to
be a key part of the functionality XRIs are trying to provide (see
1.1.1 of xri-syntax) - then you need a new URI scheme.

So I think the discussion of URI schemes for XRIs is pretty much a red
herring.  What we should, IMO, be talking about, is why http URIs and
hypermedia weren't used to provide the functionality mentioned in
1.1.1.

Cheers,

 [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#uri-opacity

Mark.