W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-tag@w3.org > July 2008

RE: Draft minutes of TAG telecon of 10 July 2008

From: Misha Wolf <Misha.Wolf@thomsonreuters.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 18:40:35 +0100
To: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>
CC: www-tag@w3.org
Message-ID: <A29ADE959C70A1449470AA9A212F5D80093B2F70@LONSMSXM06.emea.ime.reuters.com>

This page seems to be Member-only.

Misha


-----Original Message-----
From: www-tag-request@w3.org [mailto:www-tag-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Jonathan Rees
Sent: 11 July 2008 21:24
To: www-tag@w3.org WG
Subject: Draft minutes of TAG telecon of 10 July 2008


http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2008/07/10-minutes

----------

W3C
- DRAFT -
TAG Weekly
10 Jul 2008

Agenda

See also: IRC log
Attendees

Present
     Ashok, Danc, Henry, Jonathan, Stuart, TimBL
Regrets
     Noah, Raman
Chair
     Stuart Williams
Scribe
     Jonathan Rees

Contents

     * Topics
          1. Issue UrnsAndRegistries-50 (ISSUE-50)
          2. News / new items
          3. Issue contentTypeOverride-24 (ISSUE-24)
     * Summary of Action Items

<Stuart> Scribe: Jonathan Rees

<Stuart> trackbot, status

Getting started.

Comments on agenda? No.

Propose accepting draft minutes of 26 June telecon (not the joint  
call, the one before it). OK?

Resolved: http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2008/06/26-tagmem-minutes approved.

Henry to scribe next week

<Ashok> Stuart, regrets for next week's call

Ashok and Tim express regrets for next week.

Henry: Let's meet next week anyhow

<DanC> ok by me to cxl 31 Jul, 7 Aug, 14 Aug

Resolved: No TAG telecons on 31 Jul, 7 Aug, or 14 Aug.
Issue UrnsAndRegistries-50 (ISSUE-50)

How to continue the interaction with OASIS/XRI?

Ashok volunteering to talk to Marty about data integration use case in  
about 2 weeks

stuart: I'm concerned that maybe nothing will get done over the summer.

<DanC> HT: I hope to use the summer break to do the drafting I was  
planning to do.

HT: We do not have a serious analysis of why http doesn't meet their  
requirements. The XRI has not done this, nor have we.

<ht_wylie> timbl: The problem is not how to evolve the mechanism

<Ashok> TimBl: Who is the design authority?

<ht_wylie> ... it's a social problem -- they don't trust, or want to  
work with, ICANN and the rest of the authority structure

<Ashok> ask them is it that it cannot be done technically or socially

<ht_wylie> ... This kind of group wants to be _socially_ independent  
of ICANN and so on

<Ashok> do you want to be independent of ICANN

stuart: Have you seen latest decision from ICANN, re TLDs for sale?

<timbl> yes

<DanC> impact of lots more top level domains on the Web? Dan Connolly  
(Thursday, 26 June)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2008Jun/0113.html

danc: XRIs are showing up in oauth namespace declarations; namespaces  
are specified as URIs; that would imply that XRIs have to be URIs.

<DanC> (I tried to say IRI; but since IRIs and URIs share a scheme  
registry.)

<Ashok> but XRI not registered as URI scheme

ht: If an XRI URI scheme is applied for, then it will have to meet the  
bar for new URI schemes
... What can we do to help meet our obligations here?

<ht_wylie> At some point on the call, I said "Now _that's_ a technical  
question we could dig into . . ." . . . what was that?

stuart: Shall we: frame questions and encourage conversation?

danc: Not sure that will help keep things alive over the summer.

(The chair initiates a poll on the question of whether to frame  
questions and encourage conversation in order to keep things going  
over the summer.)

danc: Discussion on www-tag is convenient for me, though I wonder  
whether it'll reach critical mass

ashok: Yes, encouraging summer conversation is a good idea

<ht_wylie> Found it: 'HST thinks that addressing the "http scheme did  
not allow us to to use non-DNS authority resolution" is a very  
concrete challenge that we could focus on'

ht: Maybe we can dig in on at least one definite issue, the one about  
distributed authority.

stuart: Looking for ways to make it not fall silent and lose context  
over the summer

timbl: Maybe put the argument on a wiki, lay it out there
... Let's consider priorities w.r.t. other activities, maybe recruit  
others to help [given that our time is short]

<timbl> We could spend an hour of the next meeting to state our position

<DanC> but that wouldn't be any better.

<ht_wylie> HST is willing to try to start a thread

danc: A real back and forth would be better than presentations

<ht_wylie> ACTION: Henry S to start a thread on non-DNS authority  
resolution on www-tag [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/07/10-tagmem-irc 
]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-167 - Henry S to start a thread on non-DNS  
authority resolution on www-tag [on Henry S. Thompson - due 2008-07-17].
News / new items

danc: Let's drop video
Issue contentTypeOverride-24 (ISSUE-24)

(NOTE: No quorum from this point in the meeting.)

<DanC> http://www.w3.org/QA/2008/07/life_without_mime_type_sniffin.html

<DanC> http://www.w3.org/blog/tag/

danc: How visible is the TAG blog?
... TAG finding says sniffing is security risk. But HTML5 says do  
sniff sometimes.
... Economics of following http spec are hopeless - doing the right  
thing loses market share.
... Now, there's the "I mean it" flag

<Stuart> Hixie's response was interesting:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Jul/0079.html

danc: and sometimes there's a browser configuration switch that says  
"follow the spec"
... and maybe things are getting better with compliance

<Stuart> DanC, if you can point me at the 'controls' I'll be happy to  
'live dangerously'.

danc: I think the TAG should talk about this some more
... Details on sniffing in html5 are reasonable, not just a wholesale  
endorsement of some popular browser's behavior
... e.g. <img src="something whose content-type is text/plain">

stuart: Would you be willing to take on editor role?

danc: yes

<DanC> issue-34?

<trackbot> ISSUE-34 -- XML Transformation and composability (e.g.,  
XSLT,XInclude, Encryption) -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/34

danc: example: content type xhtml+xml, but then treated by client as  
atom feed due to namespace in the xml file

<DanC> issue-33?

<trackbot> ISSUE-33 -- Composability for user interface-oriented XML  
namespaces -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/33

<DanC> Dave Baron's msg was about the boundary between CDF and the  
TAG, about which I'm curious

Meeting formally adjourned.
Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: Henry S to start a thread on non-DNS authority  
resolution on www-tag [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/07/10-tagmem-irc 
]

[End of minutes]
Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.133 (CVS log)
$Date: 2008/07/11 19:12:48 $
Received on Monday, 14 July 2008 17:41:27 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 January 2015 15:32:57 UTC