Re: Proposed HTML ping attribute

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:28:45 -0500
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org
Julian Reschke writes:

> For the record: a GET (or a HEAD) request can be sent in a way
> (cache-control: no-cache) such that intermediaries are disallowed to
> return a cached response. So cacheability itself IMHO is not an argument

> in favor of POST.

Fair enough, but I think it's also true that a user agent, search spider,
etc. would be compatible with Web Architecture if it did a GET on the URIs
in question in cases where the user had not in fact cliked on a link.   I
can't see a reason why software that's written with awareness of the ping
attribute would do this, except maybe maliciously, but as far as I know
GET is distinguished not just by being (typically) cacheable, but also by
the fact that you can do a GET on any URI at anytime.  If someone found
out that their link access statistics were messed up due to various agents
doing GETs, I think Web Architecture would give them very few grounds for
complaint.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation