Re: [httpRange-14] What is an Information Resource?

From: Xiaoshu Wang <wangxiao@musc.edu>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 12:15:37 +0000
To: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
CC: John Black <JohnBlack@kashori.com>, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com, Mikael Nilsson <mikael@nilsson.name>, "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@miscoranda.com>, www-tag@w3.org

John Cowan wrote:
> Xiaoshu Wang scripsit:
>

>> But if cap the size, the implication is that web
>> is closed.
>>

> The Web is indeed closed.  There are roughly 10^79 particles in
> the universe, so it can be in at most 2^(10^79) possible states.
> After that, you either stop storing data or you figure out a way to
> break the conservation laws.  (I am neglecting quantum effects here.)

You mean one molecule of H2O is the same as two hydrogen and one oxygen?
I do not understand your use of base 2 in your formula.  Also, if the
universe survive infinitely, the number of human identities (live and
dead) will surpass whatever a number you give, no?

Xiaoshu
> It's like the notion that there are an infinite number of sentences in
> a given language.  For theoretical purposes we may postulate a grammar
> that can construct arbitrarily long sentences, but in fact even if you
> gabble at 100 words per minute for 150 years, which is beyond the limit
> of a human lifetime, you cannot utter a sentence of more than about
> 10^10 words.
>
> Information is inherently finite because its physical substrate is
> inherently finite.

Even if I buy your theory.  There is still a fairness issue.  Who will
get the longest bit and who gets the shortest?  Because obviously they
will be treated very differently in the web.

Xiaoshu