Re: Extensibility and Uniformity; defining "error" behavior

ext Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 15:23:00 +0100, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
> wrote:
>> I think you are talking about "uniformity" when you use the word
>> "interoperability".
>
> FWIW, the W3C generally uses the word "interoperability" where you say
> "uniformity". See e.g. http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/#crec

Nonetheless, I think Larry's distinction is a useful one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interoperability

vs.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/uniformity

(for example)

My understanding of this distinction at the specification level is that
the technical specification(s) should provide the interface at which two
implementations will interoperate. The "application statement" (which I
have personally previously referred to as "implementation guidelines")
then defines uniform behaviour across implementations within an
"implementation class" with respect to the defined interface.

- johnk