Re: ZIP-based packages and URI references into them ODF proposal

Ian Hickson wrote:
>>> Stating what the extensibility mechanisms of a language are, and
>>> stating the future actions of as yet non-existent working groups, are
>>> two very different things.
>> Yes. So what?
>
> You asked for the latter. The spec already has the former.

Could you please elaborate?

Does the spec specify how to parse or serialize a future element called
"foobar"?

>> That's a very verbose way to state "must ignore unknown values".
>
> It's a precise way of saying it, that leaves nothing ambiguous. That's the
> whole point.

I think the same precision can be reached with less verbosity.

>> So, if XML 1.0 *did* say that, how would you then introduce a new value?
>> Older recipients would ignore it, after all.
>
> If older recipients ignore the value, then we're golden. Just introduce
> the new value, and then you have predictable down-level behavior and
> predictable up-level behavior.

Well, if it's ok for consumers to ignore a new value, then this is the
right approach. The problematic case is when that fallback behaviour is
not sufficient.

Best regards, Julian