Re: Proposal to remove the phrase "Semantic Web" from the Self-Describing Web draft finding

On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 16:14 -0500, Jonathan Rees wrote:
[...]
> Anyhow, below are the changes I suggest.
[...]

I'm somewhat ambivalent; I could live with the
document either with or without most of these changes.

I was pretty happy with them up to this point...

> -----
>
> Section 5, last sentence: change
>
>   integrate HTML documents into the Semantic Web,

>   provide triples that make HTML documents more self-describing,

I never did like "triples"; it's certainly obscure
at best in this case. I kinda like "data", though
it doesn't capture the grounded-in-uri-space nature;
"linked data" perhaps, but perhaps that's still obscure.

I could go with "logical assertions," or "formulas" but I wonder
if that's really much of an improvement over "Semantic Web".

And I'm not sure these triples/formulas/whatever make the HTML documents
more *self*-describing; the terms in the logical assertions aren't
(typically) defined within the document; they're defined elsewhere
in the Web. These formulas make the data in the documents
grounded-in-the-Web, not self-describing.

The rest of these changes I'm likewise somewhat uncomfortable with...

> -----
>
> Beginning of 5.1: change
>
>   Semantic Web statements

>   logical assertions
>
> or "triples" if you find "logical assertions" too vague or grandiose.
>
> Change
>
>   The following example illustrates how RDFa can integrate HTML into the
>   self-describing Semantic Web:

>   The following example illustrates how RDFa can be used to create
>   self-describing HTML:
>
> (or "HTML documents")
>
> -----
>
> Section 5, paragraph beginning "Even though": change
>
>   This document conveys as RDF a set of semantic Web statements about

>   This document conveys a set of RDF statements about
>
> (or "triples" instead of "statements")
>
> Next paragraph: in
>
>   An RDFa-enabled user agent can extract these triples and use them to
>   help Mary work with the data they contain, or to integrate with other
>   Semantic Web information.
>
> change "Semantic Web information" to "sets of triples".
>
> Next paragraph: in
>
>   Semantic Web triples are inherently self-describing.
>
> replace "Semantic Web" with "RDF".
>
> -----
>
> GPN at the very end of sention 5.2: change
>
>   GRDDL should be used to integrate XML documents into the
>   self-describing Semantic Web.

>   GRDDL should be used to enhance an XML document's self-describing
>   nature.
>
> (that's not great - would be happy to work on wording if there's interest)
>
> -----
>
> After these changes one occurrence of "Semantic Web" should
> remain. This reference I find unobjectionable.
>
> -----
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/selfDescribingDocuments-2008-12-03.html
gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E