RE: Sketch of an idea to address widget/package addressing with fragID syntax and media-type defn.

Marcos,

The TAG suggested that I re-post the idea that I floated at the beginning of this thread on the new list at public-pkg-uri-scheme@w3.org and encourage any continuation of this thread to take place there - which I have now done [1].

Also, with some irony, I think that I'm beginning to get a better understanding of your problem, the key for me being your assertion in an earlier messages:

        "I think we have different goals in respect to [3], and that might be
        causing me confusion. For instance, Widgets do not have a need to
        remotely access and reference items within a web accessible package.
        Conversely, Web apps just needs to access files within a locally
        stored package."

Your problem is centered around how to generate absolute URI from package relative URI driven primarily by a need for API compatibility rather than a need to be able to make global sharable references. I don't know whether "...do not need to..." means simply "...don't..." or even more strongly "...will never have to...". If the possibilty exists then I think that your requirements need to take that into account. OTOH if it is *never* going to happen... I'll have to scratch my head a bit more to think about how you'd come up with a base URI and what the risks were of essentially a locally scoped identifier escaping into the wild by acccident.

Stuart
--
[1] http://www.w3.org/mid/233101CD2D78D64E8C6691E90030E5C8245CDEB565@GVW1120EXC.americas.hpqcorp.net

Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks RG12 1HN
Registered No: 690597 England