RE: Sketch of an idea to address widget/package addressing with fragID syntax and media-type defn.

Hello John,

<snip/>

> > Anyway - that zip files don't intrinically maintain such info is not
> > a show stopper - though I would have thought that carrying media-type
> > information is a natural requirement for a packaging format for the
> > web.
>
> Is it not the case that a zip file containing widgets is a
> representation of an HTTP resource in its own right? If so, couldn't the
> HTTP header returned in response to a request for that resource contain
> an HTTP Link header [1] providing a link to another HTTP resource which
> provides the package metadata, including links to the individual
> resources contained within the zip file?

In principle that's a possibility - though it provides an opportunity for more failure modes
(got the package, failed to get it's metadata) - and there will be the inevitable
multiple round-trip concerns, though since the headers before the body metadata retrieval
could be concurrent.

> Could the package metadata be represented in a common format like Atom,
> since it is a collection of links to other resources?

Plausible, though I have not looked at Atom in detail.

> Regards,
>
> - johnk
>
> [1]
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nottingham-http-link-header-03.txt

Stuart
--
Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks RG12 1HN
Registered No: 690597 England