Re: Uniform access to descriptions

On Apr 9, 2008, at 10:25 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:

>> I've always had a bit of problem working through thinking of them,
>> though. How about this example from AWWW
>>> the resource is a periodically updated report on the weather in
>>> Oaxaca
>>>

>> What are the rigid properties here, and how are they communicated?
>
> Well, for a report, I'd say that the rigid properties were its
> being a report, which is something analogous to its mime type, and
> the actual symbols (and maybe graphics) in the text of the report,
> ie enough information about them to reconstitute their appearance
> on a surface. Which is pretty much an html document with associated
> jpegs and so forth.

This would be the properties of what I think of as a static report or
web page. However they don't work for the example I asked for advice
on in at least two ways: 1) The resource is a report that changes and
2) It doesn't mention Oaxaca or weather, so if we used these as the
sole criteria then the thing could equally be a soil acidity report
from the most active volcano in the world.

-Alan