Re: Uniform access to descriptions

At 8:58 AM +0100 4/9/08, Dan Brickley wrote:
>Hi Pat,
>
>Pat Hayes wrote:

>(aside: perhaps 'http(s) URI' was meant here, rather than just 'URI'?)
>>>Pat, as I have detailed argued here
>>>http://dfdf.inesc-id.pt/tr/web-arch.  There can have only one
>>>consistent interpretation, that is: there is no so-called
>>>"information resource".
>>
>>The key issue is not what is an information resource, but what
>>isn't. So, in your document you ask, what makes the claim "A person
>>is not an information resource" true? And it seems to me that this
>>at least has a clear answer: because a person is/ not/ something
>>whose essential characteristics can be conveyed in a message.
>I don't know what 'essential characteristics' are. Really. What are
>the (erm...) characteristics of the 'essential characteristics' of
>some [named type of] thing? Who gets to decide?

I'm reading 'essential characteristics' as meaning, roughly, what in
OntoClean are called 'rigid properties' and what are often called
'essential properties', meaning properties or aspects of a thing
which it has necessarily, i.e. which if it didn't have those it would
cease to be what it is. Among my essential characteristics, for
example, is my being human; or if you prefer, mammalian. And although
we have the word "human" in English, its impossible to convey the
property of being human in a message.

>Are you saying that this is actually clear, or 'clear within the
>world of the http-range-14 resolution'?

Well, clear within the world of the TAG, maybe. Its a hell of a lot
better than the old days when everything was a resource.

Pat

>cheers,
>
>Dan
>
>--
>http://danbri.org/

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell
http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes      phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us
http://www.flickr.com/pathayes/collections