Re: Announcement: "Cool URIs for the Semantic Web" - W3C SWEO IG Note

On Apr 9, 2008, at 4:16 AM, Dan Brickley wrote:
> And for massive ontologies, like the various wordnet
> representations, breaking them up into parts has its own merits: why
> download a description of 50000 classes just because you've
> encountered @yone.

I concur. Moreover, even without cacheing 303s, if each document
includes an owl:imports, and/or  a rdfs:isDefinedBy for the subject
term, and a client decides to follow those links, they will find the
rest of the terms and can cache that and not need to fetch the rest.
An an example of this approach, here is a prototype I am working on
for the OBI ontology. http://purl.obofoundry.org/obo/OBI_0000225

The intention is that each page organized around returning useful
enough information about a single term in the ontology - exactly what
is a judgement call. Each has an owl:imports statement so that clients
that need the correct semantics are able to retrieve them, and there
are rdfs:isDefinedBy statements for the main term, as well as any
terms that I have borrowed from ontologies that are not, as yet, OWL
DL (barring oversights - that's the intention).

Status of prototype: Only one of the html pages exists, and it is not
yet generated with hyperlinks. RDF/XML is available for only classes
in the ontology at the moment, not properties. There is an unresolved
issue regarding mime-types: application/rdf+xml doesn't trigger use of
the stylesheet, so the page is served as application/xml (shouldn't
every application/rdf+xml also be a application/xml ?)

-Alan