Re: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14]

From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 01:47:40 -0400
Cc: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, www-tag <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>

On Sep 28, 2007, at 6:29 PM, Dan Connolly wrote:

> I'd really rather not put 303 redirect configuration in the
> critical path to deployment of garden variety Semantic Web data.
> The <doc#term> technique is available to ordinary authors who can
> only use ftp to upload data to the web.

Dan,

This is a critical point, and one of the basic problems with aligning
the RDF world with the web and particularly http. On the Semantic
Web, we need to see everything visible in the RDF. Anything that
encodes some aspect of the meaning of a thing in the http protocol
and doesn't surface it in the RDF will lose when made available by
any other protocol (like from a triple store). It's one of the
reasons that content negotiation is a loser for the Semantic Web,
and, similarly, solutions that rely on response codes such as 303,
since both of these mechanisms are http dependent.

-Alan