Re: Which URI should be persistent when redirects are used?

Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
> An if this is the case, can we therefore conclude, by your
> instruction, that same document has two URIs, i.e. that URI aliasing
> is a necessary consequence of content negotiation?
The relationship between a "resource/thing" and a URI is not symmetric.
One thing can have many URIs but a URI can only identify one
"resource/thing".  In the web, we only work with URI -> representations,
but not the other way around, right?

So, in your question, what is the exactly the "document" you have in
mind?  A file on a remote server? Or a cgi script? Or something else?
My point is: the question that you posted, i.e, if a "document" can have
multiple URIs, is an implementation issue.  It is irrelevant to the Web
architecture so you can freely infer anything.  What is important is
what is identified by a URI, i.e., given a URI, what you can get back.

Xiaoshu