Re: Which URI should be persistent when redirects are used?

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 14:20:34 +0200
Cc: Misha Wolf <Misha.Wolf@reuters.com>, W3C-TAG <www-tag@w3.org>, semantic-web-ig list <semantic-web-ig.list@reuters.com>
To: wangxiao@musc.edu

On 29 Sep 2007, at 11:20, Xiaoshu Wang wrote:
>> And what about content negotiation?  The requestor's original URI
>> could be redirected to different URIs depending on MIME Type and
>> Language.
>>
> Content negotiation don't change the URI.  The server returns
> different representations for a particular request depending on the
> MIME type and q score, but all the representation is under the same
> URI.

Not necessarily. A server can of course inspect the request and
redirect to different targets based on some aspect of the request. I
would call this content negotiation too.

FWIW, this strategy is widely used (with 303 redirects) by data
publishers in the Linking Open Data project [1].

Best,
Richard

[1] http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/
LinkingOpenData