RE: Some TAG review of "Cool URIs for the Semantic Web"

From: Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) <dbooth@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:33:00 -0400
To: "Richard Cyganiak" <richard@cyganiak.de>, "Pat Hayes" <phayes@ihmc.us>
Cc: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>, "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>, "Technical Architecture Group WG" <www-tag@w3.org>, "Susie Stephens" <susie.stephens@gmail.com>

> From: Richard Cyganiak
> [ . . . ]
> Yuck. That's not coherent at all. Let's say I send an HTTP GET to
> some URI, and the response is 404. Clearly, I have connected to
> something, that thing has received my HTTP request, and generated an
> HTTP response. I'd say that's good evidence for the existence of an
> HTTP endpoint associated with that URI, even though the URI
> might not actually identify any resource.

No, that's not correct.  The request is *not* sent to the original URI.
It is sent to the server specified at the *beginning* of the URI, and
that server may be responsible for responding to URI requests for many
different paths.  For example, if you try to dereference
http://foo.example.com/bar.html the request is sent to foo.example.com,
(which corresponds more to the URI http://foo.example.com/ ).   Thus, it
is still sensible to say that http://foo.example.com/bar.html has no
"HTTP endpoint" even if foo.example.com responds 404 to the request for
http://foo.example.com/bar.html .

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent
the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.