economics of modularity, postscript on xmlIDSemantics-32 / ISSUE-32; TagSoupIntegration-54 / ISSUE-54

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:23:58 -0500
To: www-tag <www-tag@w3.org>

Our xmlIDSemantics-32 is closed; xml:id is a REC and all...
but in the TagSoupIntegration context, people are arguing
that it's actually cheaper for the community as a whole
for W3C to just centralize these decisions, and as much
as I find it unappealing, I'm not sure it's wrong:

[[
(This is exactly where xml:id went wrong. The practical approach
would have been declaring that the attribute id is always and ID and
if someone out there had a non-Web problem with that, it would have
been a non-Web problem. Now the fallout from xml:id is seen in Web
specs and implementations.)
]]
 -- Henri Sivonen
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Oct/0256.html

for reference:
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/xmlIDsemantics-32.html
under the option
5.1 Steal the string "id"

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E