Re: HTTP URIs and authority

From: Xiaoshu Wang <wangxiao@musc.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:14:03 +0100
To: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
CC: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, Mikael Nilsson <mikael@nilsson.name>, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, W3C-TAG Group WG <www-tag@w3.org>, www-tag-request@w3.org

noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Xiaoshu Wang writes:
>

>> I think you still do.  You own the URI but you don't own Paris.
>> What people gets back is your personal "impression" of Paris.
>>

> Yes, if I say that the URI identifies my personal impression of that city,
> no if I say that it identifies the city itself.
Sorry, perhaps I missed this.  If you say the URI identifies your
impression of that city.  What you gets back from HTTP dereference is
the *impression* of your impression of the city.  You can never gets
back what a URI denotes by a communication protocol, like HTTP.  You
always get back a message about it, but not it.

Xiaoshu