Re: Subgroup to handle semantics of HTTP etc?

Tim Berners-Lee wrote:

> We wondered whether it would be  good idea to put together some
> kind of a task force under the TAG  to propose set of these
> axioms and an ontology.

I'm certainly willing to support at least some further exploration of
whether this would be a good idea.

One cautionary thought occurs to me:  we've tried for some time to set out
the semantics of HTTP more informally, in English (I.e. to further clarify
the implications of RFC 2616).  At least we've tried to set down important
bits of it, such as what a 303 implies, etc.  Agreement hasn't typically
been easy.

Sometimes when one expediates the formalization of such things, it adds
exactly the rigor (rigour?) and clarity necessary to proceed quickly and
yield a clearer result.   Sometimes trying to formalize before one agrees
informally makes the whole discussion that much harder and more
cumbersome.  I really have no clear intuition as to how this one would go.

So, I'm quite willing to try it with HTTP, but if it doesn't start to feel
good pretty quickly, I'd be tempted to ask whether we should instead set a
rule that we don't go too far in formalizing any bits (e.g. 303
implications) until we can at least get heads to nod in agreement on an
informal explanation.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation