Re: New draft TAG Finding on The Self-Describing Web

Pat Hayes wrote:

>> Xiaoshu Wang scripsit:
>>
>>>  Is a picture of Shakespeare a "representation" or a "description" of
>>>  him? IMHO, the essential difference between an information resource and
>>>  a non-information resource is only the former can have a
>>>  "representation" in the web.
>>
>> In the semantic web, what we talk about is resources, and resources
>> have URIs, so if we are allowed to talk about Shakespeare, there must
>> be a URI for him.
>
> Actually there must be a URIreference for him. This matters, as the
> URIref is likely to be in an RDF/XML document which itself has a URI;
> but that document, unlike Shakespeare, is an information resource.
>
>>  If http://www.heritage.org/images/shakespeare.jpg
>> were declared by its owner to refer to Shakespeare, then the content
>> retrieved from that URI would unquestionably be a representation of him.
>
> Not unquestionably. I tried to create something that as authoritatively
> and unambiguously as possible refers to me:
>
> http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/PatHayes.html
>
> but have been told that since I do not perform the HTTP re-direct ritual
> required by the TAG, it in fact does not.

Re "Machine-readable information which may help fix the denotation of
the URI http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/PatHayes will be added to this
page in due course." ... I had a quick go at this.  There's a lot that I
didn't capture due to lack of vocab, a lot that couldn't sensibly be
captured in plain RDF anyway, but the remains rendered as 19 RDF
statements are copied below, and attached in RDF/XML.

I modeled /PatHayes.html as a plain Document that is about you, while
the content-negotiable one, /PatHayes ... just *is* you.

I'd argue that it continues to be you, even if your webserver is
misconfigured. Similarly, it would still be you, even if that same
webserver allowed some other person with a login on www.ihmc.us to edit
your documents and insert lies and misinformation. PGP-signing
PatHayes.html would offer some protection there; see
http://usefulinc.com/foaf/signingFoafFiles for an experimental howto.

cheers,

Dan

<http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/PatHayes>
<http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type>
<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Person> .

<http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/PatHayes>
<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name> "Pat Hayes" .

<http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/PatHayes>
<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name> "Patrick John Hayes" .

<http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/PatHayes>
<http://purl.org/vocab/bio/0.1/olb> "US resident alien and UK citizen,
born in the town of Newent, Gloucestershire, UK, on 21 August 1944, the
only son of Alexander and Betty Hayes and brother of Mary Ellen Hayes,
of Canton, Cardiff" .

<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Document> .

<http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/>
<http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#differentFrom>
<http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/PatHayes> .

<http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/PatHayes>
<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/homepage> <http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/> .

<http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/PatHayes>
<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/mbox> <mailto:phayes@ihmc.us> .

_:genid1 <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type>
<http://purl.org/vocab/bio/0.1/Birth> .
_:genid1 <http://purl.org/vocab/bio/0.1/date> "1944-08-21" .

_:genid1 <http://purl.org/vocab/bio/0.1/place> "Newent, Gloucestershire,
UK" .

<http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/PatHayes>
<http://purl.org/vocab/bio/0.1/event> _:genid1 .

<http://www.ihmc.us/_images/people/large/phayes.jpg>
<http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type>
<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Image> .

<http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/PatHayes>
<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/depiction>

<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/gender> "male" .

<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/primaryTopic>

<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/maker>
<http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/PatHayes> .

<http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/PatHayes.html>
<http://purl.org/dc/terms/abstract> "This document hereby declares,
establishes and records the fact that the URI
http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/PatHayes is owned by Pat Hayes and is
intended by Pat Hayes to rigidly denote himself, Patrick John Hayes,
commonly known as Pat Hayes, US resident alien and UK citizen, born in
the town of Newent, Gloucestershire, UK, on 21 August 1944, the only son
of Alexander and Betty Hayes and brother of Mary Ellen Hayes, of Canton,
Cardiff: the legal person and living breathing human being whose US
social security number is the decimal rendering of the hexadecimal
21D930EA and whose facial features can be inspected in Brobdingnagian
detail by clicking here." .

aside: here's a chat I just had with your webserver in HTTP-eze...

flipflip:~/Desktop danbri$ telnet www.ihmc.us 80
Trying 72.236.182.133...
Connected to www.ihmc.us.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /users/phayes/PatHayes HTTP/1.1
Accept: application/flesh-and-blood-person
Host: danbri.org

HTTP/1.1 406 Not Acceptable