Re: Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and Linked Data

Hi Alan,

> Thanks for the more detailed information. While I agree with the need  to
> be able to have a mechanism for making statements about URIs that  one
> doesn't mint, such as http://www.w3.org/People/ Berners-Lee/  card#i, what
> I don't follow in your discussion is why such additional  statements need
> to be attached to an alias (in the sameAs sense) of  the original URI. It
> would seem worth justifying this in the light of  the associated costs of
> such aliases
>
> - The lower likelihood of successful "joins" in queries if a) Not all
> "sameAs"s are available to an agent or b) The agent's reasoner isn't
> capable of correctly handling sameAs
> - The uncertain semantics of sameAs when taken out of the context of  the
> OWL specification.
>
> For instance, why not have e.g. dbpedia only name *resources* which  are
> understood as "community statements about" some subject, in which
> statements about tbl would use his designated name for himself?

Yes, in a perfect world you are right, but unfortunately, we are not living
in a perfect world.

DBpedia is a good example for this. We are assigning URIs to 1,600,000
resources and we don't have a clue which URIs we assign to some town,
molecules, flowers or planets. We even don't know if we assign URIs to
flowers at all, before we search within our dataset for flowers.

We do this because we want to create a useful open dataset in the short
term. If we would wait until there is community agreement in each domain
that DBpedia covers about a naming schema or wait until each of the
described resources has assigned a URI to itself, we won't get anywhere. If
there would be community agreement about naming schemata (which there is not
and I also do not expect such agreement to evolve in the mid-future), the
next problem would be to bring some complicated infrastructure into place
that allows applications like DBpedia to find out that
http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i is only URI that should be used
to refer to Tim (think about stuff like URI SPAM and all the trust mechanism
such an infrastructure would need).

So, I think that the approach of assuming that single URIs for identifying
real-world resources will evolve does not scale for practical reasons.

Evidence for this opinion can be found in the Linking Open Data project
(http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData)
where most datasources are backed by large legacy databases and it is
unrealistic to require publishers to find out the only acceptable URI for
each of their 100 000 data items.

The project is aiming at having hundreds of billions RDF triples online in
the mid-term. Think of data souces like Freebase (http://www.freebase.com/),
the Open Library (http://demo.openlibrary.org/) or all public US government
data
(http://www.cs.umd.edu/class/spring2006/cmsc838s/data_repositories/repository_us.html).

In such situations, I think it is more realistic from the practical point of
view to use a two step process:

1. Allow each data provider to assign his own URIs to resources (not much
effort for him, just dump his database as Linked Data).
2. Use some equivalence mining algorithms afterwards to find out which URIs
talk about the same things.

We do a lot of such equivalence mining in the Linking Open Data project and
it works fine (good enough).
See:
http://sites.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/suhl/bizer/pub/LinkedDataTutorial/#autogenerateLinks
and
http://esw.w3.org/topic/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData/EquivalenceMining

I agree with you that this approach has a "lower likelihood of successful
"joins"", but I rather prefer to data mine useful information out of a pile
of junk than to wait until there is community agreement about ontologies and
naming schemata.

Note, that this approach is also taken by Google Base and these guys are
already rather successful with it.

I'm also not too concerned about the "agents reasoner not being capable of
correctly handling sameAs". I expect that agents and search engine will
implement reasoners for specific sets of predicates (and owl:sameAs is very
likely to be in this set). I'm sceptical about general RDF-S/OWL reasoners,
because it will take a while until they are capable to handle hundreds of
billions of triples and this is the amount of data that we need to in order
to relevant in the light of Web 2.0.

Cheers

Chris