Re: microformats, profiles, and taking back rel/class names [standardizedFieldValues-51]

On 7/17/07, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org> wrote:
> So inventing *two* new things, i.e. a new attribute and a new element,
> is superior than simply using @profile as it stands in the header in
> HTML 4 and *maybe* expanding it to work off an existing class element?

Yes, I believe so.  I'm all for extending existing mechanisms when the
extension won't break backwards compatibility (i.e. where existing
clients won't misinterpret the meaning of the document).  But the
change you're suggesting would confuse them, as I believe I
demonstrated with my last example.

Mark.