Re: microformats, profiles, and taking back rel/class names [standardizedFieldValues-51]

Dan Connolly wrote:
> Originally, values of @rel and @class were the author's choice,
> much like HTTP path names. In both cases, well-known names
> have cropped up. rel="tag" and class="vcard" are much like /robots.txt
>
> I suppose the HTML WG has the right to "take back" @rel
> and @class values, but I'm uneasy about it.

Only as long as it can't change the meaning of existing
conforming documents - including those without HTML version
information.

> I still think URI-based extensibility mechanisms are useful,
> but I don't have much of an argument to back my intuitions.

Perhaps the microformats-without-profiles supporters
should be concerned about the legal liability issues
of deducing information from a document which is not
licensed by the directly applicable specifications
(HTTP, the media type registration for the Content-
Type, and so on).