Re: Draft of TAG Submission to W3C Workshop on Web of Services for Enterprise Computing

> noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:
>
> > "It's relatively easy to motivate giving the printer its own URI; it's

> > somewhat harder to decide whether to also assign a separate URI to
each
> > paper drawer in the printer, to each part of the printer that can jam,

> > etc. Web Services does provide alternatives for addressing such very
fine
> > grained resources. "
>
> Possibly the example chosen (printers) isn't the best for making your
> point. I see your point theoretically. I just don't see it in the
> example. The problem may start with, "It's relatively easy to motivate
> giving the printer its own URI".
>
> Actually I'd say it's incredibly easy and obvious to do so, and I'd go
> quite a bit further than that. I'd say "It's relatively easy to motivate

> giving the printer its own IP address." The separate URIs per printer
> falls out of that very naturally.
>
> Again, I think I see what you're trying to say. I just don't think the
> printer example is the best instantiation of that.

I tried to say in my previous note that I agree with you on the above.  My
only excuse for not clarifying the white paper is that I was so close to
freezing final copy for TAG approval that I chose not to attempt a
revision of the example.  There's always the risk when making such a
revision that someone who previously concurred with publication would
object to the way I tried to change it.  So, I wanted to keep it pretty
stable after circulating it for that final review.  Anyway, I think we
agree on the substance, and as I said before, I apologize for not going
further in changing the paper to reflect that agreement.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street