RE: definition of forward compatible/backward compatible still an open problem [XMLVersioning-41 ISSUE-41]

David Orchard:

| Right.  Where do we go from here?  You're not comfortable with the
| current definition for reasons you've stated.  It also sounds like we
| don't have a counter-proposal, and further generating a
| counter proposal
| could involve a huge amount of time in the way of research.

I had been working on a blog item with a different approach some months ago;
this discussion stimulated me to finish it. Maybe it contains some useful or
novel ideas.

I've made a formalization of compatibility based on processor behaviour when
consuming a text instead of the information set conveyed by the text.
Basically my approach is to define two languages L1 and L2 as semantically
backward compatible iff L2 processors behave the same as L1 processors for
the defined set of texts of L1. For texts in the accept set, but not the
defined set of L1, L2 processors may add new behaviour. I'm not much of a
fan of behaviourism in psychology or philosophy, but here it seems quite
natural since often language specs make demands about the behaviour of
conforming processors.

The full formalization is available at:
http://www.marcdegraauw.com/2007/08/29/axioms-of-versioning/

(Printer friendly:
http://www.marcdegraauw.com/files/axiomsofversioning.html)

| Can we weaken the definition and effectively say it's language
| dependent?
|
| "I1 is compatible with I2 in a language specific manner such
| that is not
| generalizable."

I don't know if this is a good idea - often language specs do not contain
formalisms to establish compatibility, so wouldn't this leave compatibility
undefined?

Cheers,

Marc de Graauw

www.marcdegraauw.com