Re: New Editors Draft of the httpRange-14 Finding

Hello Rhys,

The problem I have always had is knowing what the conditions are for
two representations to be of the same resource (and are the resources
information entities, or only the representations? - can I content
negotiate for the jpeg "representation" of a person?)

Using translations as an example is particularly problematic, as most
language translations are not exact because there are inevitably
cultural attachments to the words that can not be easily understood
by non-native speakers.

I can understand some much more constrained than what I perceive to
be extremely loose language the AWWW, and this document as well, use.
For instance we could say that two representations are of the same
resource if there is a documented algorithm implementable by a
computer that losslessly transforms one into the other, as with a
byte sequence and its gzip compressed version.

My worry has been that unless there is some way for someone to say:
"No, you are wrong, these two things are *not* representations of the
the same thing" then the term "representation" is meaningless.

Regards,
Alan