Re: First draft of TAG Blog Entry on Version Identifiers

Mark Baker writes:

> That's quite good, but it seems incomplete because it doesn't discuss
> the use of external metadata, in particular media types.  Not that I
> expect every possible approach to be covered, but given the important
> role of media types in Web architecture (viz a viz the "Authoritative
> Metadata" finding), I think it bears mention.

I'll think about it.  The real focus here is on what to put in the
instance, or as Henry clarified on our latest call, what the specfications
for a data format should allow/require/prohibit regarding version
information in the instance.  My first reaction to your suggestion was
that external information is therefore out of scope.  On reflection, I can
see reasoning along the lines of:  well, if you're going to weigh the
benefits of putting versioning info in the document, you need to also talk
about all the other places it could come from.  Maybe.  That does make
some sense, but this is a draft blog entry, not a comprehensive TAG
finding, and I'm a bit afraid that if I pull too hard on the ball of
string I'll wind up with the whole versioning finding (which would be a
good trick, since after 3 years of trying we don't yet have one of those.)
 Anyway, thank you for the suggestion.  I'll think about it some.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street