Re: Short namespace URIs for W3C TRs available

Mark Baker wrote:

> Ian - a late comment, I know.  Just tossing it out there ...
>
> On 9/6/06, Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org> wrote:
>> As before, a trailing "/" MAY be used and does not require Director
>> approval.
>
> It seems to me that the lack of a standard approach there may lead to
> confusion, as for each short name an author would also have to
> remember whether it also needed the trailing slash or not.
>
> I think it would be better for the spec to pick an option, and say it
> SHOULD be used, e.g. "A trailing slash SHOULD be used, but choosing
> not to use one does not require Director approval".
>
> I don't have any strong opinions on which option should be used,
> though I suppose having no slash is cleaner, saves a character, and is
> consistent with existing W3C namespace naming practice (last time I
> looked).

It's important to at least allow the use of namespace URIs that end
without the / (or that end /# I suppose).

Sometimes there are deployment reasons for using a / over #, eg. very
large RDF namespaces where you want to do an HTTP GET on term URIs, and
not have the bit after the # ommitted by the HTTP library. For example,
see the Wordnet 2.0 representation hosted at
http://www.w3.org/2006/03/wn/wn20/instances/
see working draft at http://www.w3.org/TR/wordnet-rdf/

cheers,

Dan