Re: Socket APIs and the W3C

* Mark Nottingham wrote:
>A colleague recently pointed out that the SVG 1.2 WD contains a "Raw
>Sockets" DOM interface; <http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20040510/
>#rawsocket>. AFAICT, this is neither covered by its charter <http://
>www.w3.org/2004/10/svg-charter.html> or in the referenced
>requirements document <http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG2Reqs/>.

You are looking at rather outdated documents, the socket interface is
part of the recently published Candidate Recommendation for SVG Tiny
1.2, see <http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/svgudom.html>, and the re-
quirements are at http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-SVGTiny12Reqs-20060810
The requirement addressed here is "SVGT 1.2 should support rendering
level of detail".

>Additionally, the Web APIs WG is chartered <http://www.w3.org/2006/
>webapi/admin/charter> to produce:

Yes, several people in fact disagreed with the SVG Working Group that
SVG Tiny 1.2 should include this feature due to overlap with the Web
API Working Group and serious security problems. The Director did not
agree with this "minority" view, however.

>* How do raw TCP interfaces relate to the Web architecture? Last time
>I checked, there was no "tcp" URI scheme. Should a protocol have a
>well-defined URI scheme before W3C WGs attempt to integrate it?

Your last question is a process question and therfore out of scope of
this list. As for the first question, I don't see which architecture
principles need to be clarified in the context of socket APIs.

>* More generally, what kinds of protocols are appropriate? E.g., why
>stop at TCP? Why not UDP? Or raw Ethernet frames? JMS is mentioned,
>even though it's not a wire protocol -- it's an API specification
>that is implemented by many proprietary protocols. Is that something
>the W3C should be encouraging?

This is again a process question.

>* What, at a minimum, should such API specs include? The SVG draft
>specified a raw socket API without including a security model (only
>hand-waving along the lines of "you know what to do; we'll get to
>it."), and it still stands that way two years later.

Again, I don't think there are architectural principles that need to
be clarified here. As far as security is concerned, the SVG Working
Group rejected security concerns raised during the four last call
reviews of the feature. While several reviewers were not satisfied
with how the Working Group handled this issue, they did not register
a formal objection, in the opinion of the SVG Working Group, however.