RE: The self-describing web...

Were it only that simple...

"A schema is a theory about a document. " Lou Burnard

Many schemas can be applied to the same document. - conventional wisdom

Which one is the one I want now for some goal?

>From the same question on two other lists:

1. How is a theory chosen:  Given a lattice of theories, an essential
challenge is to select a theory in a neighborhood of theories to
apply given a question/goal, problem to be analyzed, etc.

2. Is it a federation of systems (systems being selectors) or a
confederation of systems?  In other words, federations share
values whereas, confederations value shared things.

What to do given conflicting goals?  Appeal to a metatheory?
Appeal to a metaselector?

Berners-Lee's answer leads to a system with a paucity of
business objects.  There is no 'self' without them,
and unfortunately, those are being patented as fast
as the applications can be processed but that's a different
problem.

len

From: www-tag-request@w3.org [mailto:www-tag-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of
Dan Connolly

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 15:28 -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> Hello world,
>
> Several current TAG issues (at least namespaceDocuments-8 (maybe),
> xmlFunctions-34, RDFinXHTML-35, rdfURIMeaning-39, and
> namespaceState-48 (maybe)) relate, in one way or another, to the "self
> describing" nature of the web. That is, the principle that you can
> start somewhere and "follow your nose" to work out what you've got.

While hunting for DNS root stuff, I just re-discovered a DesignIssues
note on this topic...

 Axioms of Web Architecture: the meaning of a document
 Abstract: The meaning of a document is then the product of some text in
some language) and the meaning of the language. The text is found in a
document and the language defined in a document called a schema.

 Tim Berners-Lee
 Date: 1999, last change: $Date: 2002/12/05 16:15:47 $
when the Namespace argument came around again and I realized that where
there
 http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Meaning.html