Re: registering formats in the web [uriMediaType-9] [Fwd: Request for MIME media type Application/Personal Tree - prs.]

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 07:45 +1100, Mark Baker wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> I'm a bit confused about what role you intend for this media type.
> What is "t9"; something specific to SPARQL (not that I can tell ...)?

no; t9 is a short psuedo-random sequence of characters... a nonce.
You can think of it as short for "tag issue 9"
today, but I'll probably make up some other reason for it later.

No, it's not specific to SPARQL.

> Are you perhaps suggesting that this serve as a template for other
> media type registrations such that its properties might be considered
> "global"?  Something else?

Well, there need only be one registered media type that works this
way. The only reason not to use this one is that it's owned by
me personally. I'd like to see it owned by W3C one day, or
even the IETF.

> The URI hook you have seems fine, and reminds me of Mark Nottingham's
> noble attempt at registering the "dns" media type tree[1] in that it
> also uses a parameter for the URI ("doc").  But Mark's also used DNS
> in the media type name itself so as to remove the need for separate
> registration (beyond the DNS name itself).  Unfortunately, not many
> IETFers seemed to like it, largely for that reason. 8-(

Quite... but they've opened the door to a little competition
by opening the prs and vnd trees. If the idea takes off (i.e.
if it proves to be better than the current morass of unregistered
and x- types), maybe they'll like it more and adopt it.

>  [1] http://mirrors.isc.org/pub/www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-nottingham-dns-media-tree-00.txt
>
> Mark.
>
> On 2/1/06, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> wrote:
> > Attached find a personal/vanity media type that I just
> > requested; basically, it puts a URI-based hook in the IANA registry.
D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E